Remembering those who served to protect our freedoms.
Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend. We finally have had a streak of warm, sunny weather. The long, cold, snowy winter is quickly being forgotten.
Thoughts on the Books I Read Last Week:
How I Got Skinny, Famous and Fell Madly In Love by Ken Baker
Sixteen year old Emery feel like an alien in her own family. They are obsessed with themselves. Emery is smart, snarky, and the doctor has told her she is seriously overweight and needs to address the issue. She discovers that her parents are in financial trouble and agrees to participate in a reality show about her weight loss "Fifty Pounds to Freedom" for a million dollars. As the show progresses we learn more about Emery, hows she feels, thinks and copes. Secrets are being kept. She quickly discovers the show is more about rating, branding than reality and she begins to fight back, looking for truth, true freedom, true beauty, and becoming the person she wants to be. Funny, emotional, and thought provoking.
*Thanks to Seta Zink and Running Press for this review copy*Hot Secrets by Lisa Renee Jones
Assistant District Attorney Lauren is beginning a high profile case. The prosecution of a women accused of killing her abuser husband. The Walker Brothers have formed a security company and Royce is hired by Lauren's father to keep her safe after anonymous threats are directed toward Lauren. She will not be happy with this arrangement, and Royce keeps it a secret. Lauren is determined to continue on with the case and Royce will do whatever it takes to keep her safe. Fast paced, suspenseful with a couple of twists that kept me engaged.
*Thanks for Forever Hachette for this review copy*Otherwise Engaged by Amanda Quick
Travel writer Amity Dorcaster rescues a fellow passenger in an alley after he suffered a gunshot. While on the ship she doctors his wound and takes care of him. They part ways and shortly after she arrives home in London gossip circulates. She is kidnapped by the serial killer called the Bridegroom and narrowly escapes. When Benedict arrives home he learns of the gossip, and has a solution to it and wants to keep Amity safe, even if she is capable of taking care of herself. As their investigation heats up they find that their incidents are related. Both characters are engaging and have great chemistry. The secondary characters are just as interesting. A couple of twists and turns added to the enjoyment of the novel.
The Collector by Nora Roberts
Lila is a professional house sitter with few ties. She loves to people watch and one night, through her binoculars, she witnesses a woman being thrown from her window. She reports it to the police and another body is discovered in the apartment. It is ruled a murder/suicide, but the victim's brother does not believe his brother would do such a thing. Ash wants answers and asks Lila to tell him what she saw. She is willing to do what she can to help. As details come to light they discover secrets that become dangerous. Another great read from a go to author.
Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews
Book four of my latest favorite series that I've been devouring. Kate is a strong, independent, extremely loyal with a won't give up attitude. She is called to investigate a bar fight and discovers it is more than it appears that leads to discoveries that are dangerous for her. Kate's magic keeps growing and will lead to
Kate and Curran have a bit of an understanding about a dinner invitation that leaves us wondering will they or won't they and the tension turns the pages.
Kate and Curran have a bit of an understanding about a dinner invitation that leaves us wondering will they or won't they and the tension turns the pages.
Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews
This novella features Jim and Dali. Jim needs Dali's help figuring out what happened to four pack members that disappeared. Short, but action packed.
Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews
This urban fantasy series keeps getting better and better. I can't believe I waited so long to give it a try. Kate has quit the Order and opened her own business, Cutting Edge, along with fired Knight Andrea. They need a successful case to give their reputation a kick. They are asked to investigate a kidnapping. They uncover layers to find a sect calling themselves the Lighthouse Keepers that want to wipe out magic. The lengths they go to may just get everyone killed. Curran and Kate have taken their relationship to the next level and I appreciate it does not distract from the main storyline.
Also Finished:
Seduce the Darkness by Gena Showalter (audio)
Saving Quinton by Jessica Sorensen (audio)
Avenge Me by Maisey Yates
Reading:
Silenced by Dani Pettrey
Up Next:
Scandalize Me by Caitlin Crews
Expose Me by Kate Hewitt
The Art of Arranging Flower by Lynne Branard
Still time to enter for a copy of When We Met by Susan Mallery.













20 comments:
You kill me, you read so many books, and remember what you thought. I'm curious about Avenge Me.
I like the sound of The Collector.
Wow, another great reading week for you!
I haven't read Nora Roberts in years but that looks good! As does the first one, but in a totally different way.
Have a great Memorial Day!
Glad you enjoyed all this reading. How do you get so many read each week? The Amanda Quick title sounds really good. I have a collection but haven't read many because they are series. If this is stand alone I might pick it up.
The Collector sounds good too.
Have a good Memorial Day and Happy Reading!
I've been waiting on your thoughts about The Collector, so glad you liked it ... trying to get to it soon. Ken Baker's book is not my usual reading but I'm curious.
Have a great week, enjoy the lovely weather and happy reading :)
This weather is awesome isn't it (finally)? Hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend. We haven't made it over to the lakeshore yet this weekend but with weather like this, it won't be long now!
Have a great week.
I really liked The Collector and Otherwise Engaged is one I might pick up at some time in the future, don't mind an Amanda Quick novel every so often.
Great week :D
The book by Ken Baker sounds pretty awesome. I'm excited to see your review! Hope you have a great week :-)
Tanya Patrice
Girlxoxo.com
A great selection! The Kate Daniels series is one of my favourites:)
Have a great week
Shelleyrae @'Bookd Out
You had a great book week! There are several books on your list that I am anxious to get to.
My post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/05/weekly-book-recap-68.html
I love that Ilona Andrews series too. It might be time for a re-read. I have The Collector on my stack to read this week. Come see my week here. Happy reading!
What a great week for reading. I didn't fare so well last week.
Okay...Blogger crapped out on me! Trying again....
Can't wait to read The Collector...wish I were reading it now instead of the annoying Cutting Teeth...LOL
Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.
I first saw the title for Ken Baker's book and thought it was terrible, but then I read the synopsis and it actually sounds like a really good book! That just shows how important titles are. I have to agree with most others here, but The Collector sounds very exciting! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you enjoy all of them!
My Monday posts
Juli @ Universe in Words
While I haven't read of any the books you listed, I've heard of most of the authors since they're super popular with the library patrons I help them find books for!
While I haven't read of any the books you listed, I've heard of most of the authors since they're super popular with the library patrons I help them find books for!
A wonderful week for you.
ENJOY this week.
Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My It's Monday, What Are You Reading
I've seen The Art of Arranging Flowers on so many blogs. Hope you love it!
Post a Comment