Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chocolate War

Stunned by his mother's recent death and appalled by the way his father sleepwalks through life, Jerry Renault, a New England high school student, ponders the poster in his locker-Do I dare disturb the universe?

Part of his universe is Archie Costello, leader of a secret school societ-the Virgils-and master of intimidation. Archie himself is intimidated by a cool, ambitious teacher into having the Virgils spearhead the annual fund-raising event-a chocolate sale. When Jerry refuses to be bullied into selling chocolates, he becomes a hero, but his defiance is a threat to Archie, the Virgils, and the school. In the inevitable showdown, Archie's skill at intimidation turns Jerry from hero to outcast, to victim, leaving him alone and terribly vulnerable.

I choose this book/audio because I've seen it on the banned book list. It was brutal at times as bullying always is, but also funny, emotional and a good coming of age story.  I understand why it has become a YA classic and a teaching novel.
Author: Robert Cormier
Published: 1974
Audio: 5 Discs,5 Hours - Listening Library
Narrator: Frank Muller
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Library
3 Bears

6 comments:

jlshall said...

My husband is always recommending this one to me, but I've sort of been avoiding it because of the brutality. It does sound interesting, though.

Anonymous said...

Watched the movie last year and liked it. I've read they changed the ending from the book so now I need to read it.

Irene said...

I wonder why it was on the banned book list. Bullying is an ugly subject, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I think I'll add this to my ever growing list. Thanks Nise.

Jenners said...

I was going to say that this sounded somewhat familiar ... now I know why. I never did read it though but it sounds like it is still very timely today!

Staci said...

I read this one so longggg ago!! But I do remember loving it!

Beth F said...

This is one I missed. I'll have to give it a try.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP