Monday, March 29, 2010

Multi-tasking

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS:

Do you – or are you even able – to do other things while you read? Do you knit, hold a conversation, keep an eye on the TV? Anything?

I can drive, walk, exercise or clean the house while listening to audio books.  In fact, my favorite thing to do is walk and listen to a great book.  I am just about finished with The Fiery Cross on my iPod that I use to walk, exercise and clean.  In the car I am listening to Thirteen Reasons Why.  Last week I really did not want to car pool so that I could listen to my book!  But I did!

If the book or tv show is not too involved, I can do both.  If either or requires paying close attention, such as Lost, then I do not try to do both.    I would not read while carrying on a conversation, it is rude to the other person.  However, I can talk and read. 

12 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I can't multi-task while reading!

Mondays: Mailbox/Musings and all!

fredamans said...

I just read.

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/03/musing-multi-tasking.html

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I can multitasking while listening to audio books.

Here is mine

Carina said...

I hadn't thought about the audiobooks! I can definitely multi-task while "reading" them, but not while reading a paper book.

My full post is here.

Anonymous said...

I don't usually multitask.

You can find my MM HERE

Natalie said...

You are such a multi-tasker Nise. That's amazing. So far I have only done with audio books in the car or during my gym time. Other than that I require focus with my books. And if the books are emotional for example I'd better be hiding inside my bedroom or I'll embarrass myself crying and getting all that emotional. Huhu. Oh and one time I tried reading and watching Bones at the same time, I stayed with the first page it was a waste of time. After the show, I re-read the first page again -- isn't that pathetic?

So the answer to your question of multi-tasking with books, I'd say not really...

Irene said...

I can clean to an audio book, but mine are still on tapes, I don't like things in my ears, my next challenge.

Yvonne said...

I can multi-task, but not when I'm reading. I forgot that I do drive and listen to audio books at the same time. Although, I don't always hear every word on the audio. My mind can wander when I drive. LOL

Sue Jackson said...

Thanks for your comment on my book blog - I was surprised to hear that you have fibro. Both of my sons and I all have CFS - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - so you and I have a lot in common! I'm always amazed to come across other people and discover that they, too, are living with chronic illness - there's a reason why they call these invisible illnesses, but there are a lot of out there!

You might also be interested in another blog I write about living with chronic illness. Although my focus is on CFS, many of my readers have FM - the two illnesses have so many similarities. I try to keep a positive focus, writing not just about the challenges of our lives but also the joys! If you want to check it out:

www.livewithcfs.blogspot.com

Oh, and the only thing I ever managed to multitask while reading was breastfeeding...and that was many years ago! I do enjoy listening to audio books while cooking, though, and of course, while driving!

Sue

Jenny Girl said...

You are multi-talented! I can walk and listen to an audio book. I can also knit and listen or watch tv. But when I read, all bets are off. It's me and the book and that's it :)

Anonymous said...

That is multi-tasking at its finest! Very impressive. I love listening to audio books as well (as I'm sure you've noticed from my blog) although I haven't tried listening to them outside the car. I work at a library and they have these new audio book mp3 players you can check out now - they are so cool! I'm going to have to put a hold on one.

Thanks for all your wonderful comments on my blog - they are greatly appreciated! :)

Lisa said...

here's mine

Labels

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP