Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Tuesday Intro/Teaser

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is a weekly meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea every Tuesday. To participate share the opening paragraph or two of a book you've decided to read based on that paragraph. Please feel free to join in, First Chapter~First Paragraph~Tuesday Intros.

April 9, 1995
The Oregon Coast

If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be, in war we find out who we are. Today's young people want to know everything about everyone. They think talking about a problem will solve it. I come from a quieter generation. We understand the value of forgetting, the lure of reinvention. Lately, though, I find myself thinking about the war and my past, about the people I lost. Lost. It makes it sound as if I misplaced my loved ones, perhaps I left them where they don't belong and then turned away, too confused to retrace my steps. They are not lost. Nor are they in a better place. They are gone.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn/ MizB of A Daily Rhythm



"Who is Juliette Gervaise?" Julian says and it shocks me a little to hear that name from him. I close my eyes and in the darkness that smells of mildew and bygone lives, my mind casts back, a line thrown across years and continents. Against my will - or maybe in tandem with it, who knows anymore? - I remember.



Nise'

13 comments:

Beth F said...

I like this opener ... hope you enjoy the book.

Kay said...

I've heard so many good things about this book. I have it on audio and want to find just the right time to listen to it.

fredamans said...

I love how this book sounds. Beautiful writing!

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I'm anxiously awaiting a copy from the library...it's "in transit" as I write this.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Irene said...

Interesting opening. good to catch up with you, how's your grandbaby?

Harvee44 said...

This is on my TBR shelf. I am enjoying all kinds of historical fiction these days.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've been wanting to try this one. I would read more.

Margot said...

I already like the voice of the narrator. I feel how tired she is. I want to know more.

Alice Audrey said...

That draws me in. I imagine an old codger talking.

Yvonne said...

I love this author and this book has been on my TBR list for awhile. Sounds great!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I loved this book! I think it was one of my favorites from this author.

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

I am eager to read this when I'm able. I like the author but it sounds like she is moving in an even better direction with this book. What a moving intro, thanks!

Mystica said...

I'd like to continue reading this one

Labels

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP