Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tuesday Intro/Teaser

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is a weekly meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea every Tuesday. To participate share the opening paragraph or two of a book you've decided to read based on that paragraph. Please feel free to join in, First Chapter~First Paragraph~Tuesday Intros.


Prologue:
"The missing face unnerved me. No eyes, nose, or mouth lent personality to the cloth doll clutched by the little Amish girl. My own Raggedy Ann exuded charm while this toy sported a plain dress and an empty facade. It was spooky, even. I felt sorry for my playmate, but could express no true condolences because we didn't share the same language. Instead, I set four cups and saucers on a tree stump for a makeshift tea party. Our fathers were inside the barn arguing about the price of an old crosscut saw. Mine didn't want to sell the saw because my great-grandparents had used it to build the house where we now lived. While the dusty tool hadn't been used in two generations, the saw told a cherished story from our family history. The other man had immediate, practical plans for the device. The visit ended badly when it became apparent that no deal was forthcoming and the saw would remain behind. Though his beard and wide-brimmed hat masked his expression, he walked like an angry man. Untying the horse, he commanded his daughter to join him She hurried over, absently leaving her plaything behind."

Shunning Sarah by Julie Kramer



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of  Should Be Reading.


Nise'

14 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

Wonder if the little girls can remain friends. Sounds good!

Beth F said...

Oh this sounds like it could be really good.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Oh, I do like the sound of this intro. New author to me. enjoy

Irene said...

I'd love a cross cut saw, I think they are so cool, but I don't think I'd argue. Sounds good, you've probably already finished reading this one. Enjoy.

Gigi Ann said...

Sounds interesting, but not my cup of tea. ; )

Elizabeth said...

Quite interesting...thanks.

My teaser is from Play Him Again by Jeffrey Stone.

Giveaway too for THE GIRL ON THE CLIFF.

Have a great TEASER TUESDAY...mine is below.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2012/11/teaser-tuesday-11132012.html

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, that is such a poignant look into the differences between the two girls. Thanks for sharing.

Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

Heather said...

Great intro! My teaser: The Hobbit

Cheryl said...

Wow! I really like this. Neat cover.

Here's mine.

fredamans said...

He should learn to take no for an answer and find another saw to buy.

Margot said...

I love a good Amish story. I'd love to read this one.

Staci said...

Sounds so very good!!!! Can't wait for your review!

kayerj said...

I think I'd keep going.

Jenners said...

I would actually keep going with this.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP