Now: Miami criminal defense lawyer Jack Swyteck has been called in to save Jamal from the death penalty for terrorist activity. Despite urgent warnings from his fiancĂ©e, undercover FBI agent Andie Henning, to stay away from the case, Jack finds himself inextricably drawn to Jamal's past—even believing his alibi that he was abducted and held in a black site in Prague at the time of McKenna's death. But if Jamal is innocent, then the man who murdered McKenna and took Vince's sight is still out there . . . free.
Soon bodies begin to pile up and ghosts from the past reappear very much alive, confirmed by ominous threats from a faceless man known only as "the Dark." Vince and Jack must confront a mortal danger that goes beyond McKenna's death, across international waters—a journey to piece together the past that leads through the back alleys of London, onto illegal Internet sites, and straight into the mind of pure evil.
As a fan of the author's Jack Swyteck series, for me, this is bit of a departure from the legal thriller that I expect. Not much happens in the courtroom as Jack is busy in the trenches tying to figure out what really happened. There is a lot dealt with in this book that gives much to think about: black detention sites, private military, human trafficking, child pornography, computer technology/spying, terrorism and our sense of privacy. The author handles it all very well and had me up late turning the pages in this satisfying read. I did, however, miss the interaction between Jack and Theo as there was just not enough in this story. I look forward to the next installment in the series.Author: James Grippando
Published: March 2011
Pages: 406
Genre: Suspense/Thriller
Source: Library
Finished: 4-22-11
4 Bears







6 comments:
I listened to one book of this series and as I listened I thought it was okay. Once I was through, I discovered that it was an abridged version. I need to give the series another shot.
Hmmm, I have to continue considering this one, thanks for the honest review.
I don't read many thrillers although this one certainly sounds like it has a lot of elements that would interest me.
I really don't think I've heard of this series at all...I'm addicted to series that's for sure!
I've read a few by this author and enjoyed them. Maybe the audio would be a good one for me.
This had to be my least favorite Swyteck novel. I reviewed it earlier this year, and was disappointed mostly because I was hoping for a courtroom thriller, plus he seemed to leave a lot of threads opened, or closed them unsatisfactorily.
And I totally agree, not enough Theo.
Post a Comment