Saturday, December 6, 2008

Faith 'N Fiction Saturday


My Friend Amy hosts this weekly discussion and today's question is inspired by a conversation Lilly started over at Book Blogs. What do you think about labeling books as Christian fiction? As you know, the range of spiritual content in Christian books varies tremendously. Some books barely even mention God while others use a lot of Scripture. Do you think Christian fiction books should be in a separate section of the bookstore or library? Do you think this limits who might read these books? Do you have any idea of how they could be arranged differently? And a little off topic but do you have a preference about whether or not books have a lot of spiritual content or only a little?

My library has a large section of inspirational fiction off by itself. I have noticed that some authors(Francine Rivers, Angela Hunt, Karen Kingsbury, Frank Peretti, Thones & Left Behind books) are in with the "regular" fiction books(they do have a inspirational sticker on the spines)as well as in the inspirational fiction section. I like the section by itself because it helps me when looking for specific books, but do feel that many great books are being overlooked under the label of "inspirational" with many not knowing that they are great books without being too preachy. My library has a section of new fiction that does not have the new inspirational fiction releases included. I would like to see that changed as I notice many patrons go right to the new fiction section first.

I do not have a preference on christian fiction containing a lot or little spiritual content. I'm more concerned about the content of explicit s*x, language, and violence.

9 comments:

Stormi said...

Wish my library was big enough for a Christian section, but ours is small and they have them mixed. That is to bad that they don't put them in with the new release fiction, doens't seem quite fair.

Stormi
http;//writesthoughts.blogspot.com

kalea_kane said...

:) I wish they would put more Christian Fiction in the new release sections too. Well libraries never seem to have it. I think I'll speak to my librarian on that one. I am so glad you brought that up, Nise'.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

My library just has all the fiction put together.

Anonymous said...

"I'm more concerned about the content of explicit s*x, language, and violence. "

Hmm - if you cannot even spell out s*x in a post, you probably would not like my "real world" Christian-themed novels that reach out to the secular readership. But I DO respect your position and did enjoy your answer to Amy's Q for today.

Mine is at: http://tinyurl.com/59ht5m

Pam said...

I think it would be great if the new Christian fiction was in the new release section, but they don't do that at my library either.
It would introduce the books to many more readers.

Kim said...

You know, I live in a very small town, and our library is a branch of the "main" county library. However, there is such a demand for Christian fiction that both branches keep a list of Christian authors at the desk so those wishing to find Christian fiction will know where to look. They also put a sticker on the spine.

Any book I have ever requested has always been promptly ordered and they use my blog to determine some of their new purchases! I am blessed beyond measure to have librarians who love me, pray for me and share their concerns with me. And all the while we are enjoying great books!

Kim
WINDOW TO MY WORLD

SmilingSally said...

I would like to see a "newly released" section for Christian Fiction!

Sunny said...

I like the new release section idea too.

Amy said...

I think it's great that some of the books are mixed in both sections!

Labels

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP