Thursday, August 12, 2010

An Echo in the Bone & Giveaway

To celebrate the trade paperback release of An Echo in the Bone, the 7th book in the wildly popular Outlander series, TLC Book Tours is putting the whole series on tour: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, and An Echo in the Bone!

In this new epic of imagination, time travel, and adventure, Diana Gabaldon continues the riveting story begun in Outlander.

Jamie Fraser, former Jacobite and reluctant rebel, is already certain of three things about the American rebellion: The Americans will win, fighting on the side of victory is no guarantee of survival, and he’d rather die than have to face his illegitimate son–a young lieutenant in the British army–across the barrel of a gun.

Claire Randall knows that the Americans will win, too, but not what the ultimate price may be. That price won’t include Jamie’s life or his happiness, though–not if she has anything to say about it.

Meanwhile, in the relative safety of the twentieth century, Jamie and Claire’s daughter, Brianna, and her husband, Roger MacKenzie, have resettled in a historic Scottish home where, across a chasm of two centuries, the unfolding drama of Brianna’s parents’ story comes to life through Claire’s letters. The fragile pages reveal Claire’s love for battle-scarred Jamie Fraser and their flight from North Carolina to the high seas, where they encounter privateers and ocean battles–as Brianna and Roger search for clues not only to Claire’s fate but to their own. Because the future of the MacKenzie family in the Highlands is mysteriously, irrevocably, and intimately entwined with life and death in war-torn colonial America.

With stunning cameos of historical characters from Benedict Arnold to Benjamin Franklin, An Echo in the Bone is a soaring masterpiece of imagination, insight, character, and adventure–a novel that echoes in the mind long after the last page is turned.
I fell in love with this series way back in 1993 when I received the first two books and devoured them in a weekend.  I was so thrilled to learn there was a third book,  I quickly found it and read it and then started the series all over again.  I have been a faithful fan waiting for the next book and every so often re-reading from the beginning.  Whenever a new book in the series came out I was both anxious to get started and dreading that it could be the end of the series as well as fearful it could be the end of my favorite characters. 

Last year I started listening to the series on audio (on Beth Fish Reads recommendation) in anticipation of the release of An Echo In The Bone and have fast become a gushing fanatic of Davina Porter.  She does and excellent job of bringing these beloved characters to life!  I shiver every time "Jamie" says Mo Chridhe  and Sassenach,   I have laughed and cried through 46 hours of pure loveliness.  I was glad to have the print version to refer to when I felt the narration jumping around and had to read to make sure where in the story we were.

It will definitely be a long wait for the next installment as we are left with a few cliff-hangers.

This is one series that I recommend over and over again!


Diana Gabaldon’s sweeping Outlander saga reaches new heights in An Echo in the Bone. Read an excerpt on Diana’s website HERE.

The story that started it all, introducing two remarkable characters, Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser, in a spellbinding novel of passion and history that combines exhilarating adventure with a love story for the ages….

The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon — when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach — an “outlander” — in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord … 1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life … and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire … and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Check out all the stops on the tour here.

Ms. Gabaldon's  publisher is offering a copy of An Echo in the Bone to one lucky reader of my blog (US/Canada only, no PO Boxes).  If you would like a chance to win a copy, please leave me a comment with your email address and tell me if you have read any of this series.  If you have and can remember, who is your most hated villain of this series!  The winner will be randomly drawn August 22nd.

Thank you to TLC Tours, Lisa Munley, The Random House Publishing Group and Diana Gabaldon for my review copy.

10 comments:

ibeeeg said...

I soooo love this series. Love it!!!
ECHO is one of my favorites of the series, so yeah, I own the hardcover.
Cliffhangers? For sure...trying to not think of them right now. ;)
Currently, I am re-reading Outlander...again, but I do love the book. I am going to make my way through the series...read a few and listen to the audiobook for a few. Davina Porter does a fabulous narration job.

Anyway, call me crazy but I really do want the pb because all my other books in the series are pb. Please add me name to your giveaway.

ibeeeg(at)gmail(dot)com

Irene said...

I've not heard of this series, but I have now. I'll be checking it out for a diversion from my challenge commitments. I think I shall have to dedicate a whole year to your recommendations.

Staci said...

I'm working my way through Echo right now...loving it!! Your review is great!!!

Yvonne said...

I have them a few in my TBR and eventually I will get to them. They sound so good.

Mollie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this series. I haven't read Echo yet though. I heard there were cliff hangers and since I know it takes her YEARS to write the next book....I figured there wasn't any rush.

I definitely think Black Jack Randall is the ultimate villan.

bookfaredelights[at]gmail[dot]

Beverly said...

Thanks for hosting - I haven't read any of this series, but it sounds great! Please enter me - I am an old follower.
bsharp88@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

You know I lovet his series. I'm on The Fiery Cross right now, so please enter me.
stacybooks at yahoo

throuthehaze said...

I have not read this series yet but I am dying to!
throuthehaze at gmail dot com

Cheryl said...

I am a new follower (found you from my friend Staci "Life in the Thumb"). I haven't read any of these books, but would like to enter.
cherylbaryl@hotmail.com
I do love your review style.

LisaMM said...

I love how you're so passionate about this series!! Thanks so much for being on the tour.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP